Algo trading from server using KITE

trader0x
Hey, I'm new here to kite and wanted to understand a few small things. I wanna develop my own algo trading strategy and deploy it on a server(EC2) and keep it running through. I wanna just play around and test for now, the questions I have with using KITE:
1. Would I have to manually generate my access token, and feed it to my backend code in my server at the market start time everyday? Is there a way to automate this? And how long is the validity of one access token ?
2. Is there any paper trading api's so that I can test on them before going to live markets ? I read somewhere of a suggestion to use an account with no money to place orders, but how would the orders go through to test it in that case ?
  • trader0x
    Looking for ways with as much minimal interaction with UI as possible, was anyone able to automate everything on the server side ?
  • ANL
    ANL edited April 3
    1. Would I have to manually generate my access token, and feed it to my backend code in my server at the market start time everyday? Is there a way to automate this? And how long is the validity of one access token ?

You have to generate access token manually as per the regulatory rule. You have to generate access token every day. It will be valid from 8.30 a.m. to 12 a.m.
    You can watch this video to learn more about login and access token: https://youtube.com/watch?v=9vzd289Eedk
    & this thread: https://kite.trade/forum/discussion/10391/mandatory-totp-for-all-kite-connect-apps/p1
    2. Is there any paper trading api's so that I can test on them before going to live markets ? I read somewhere of a suggestion to use an account with no money to place orders, but how would the orders go through to test it in that case ?
    Kite API doesn't provide a sandbox feature. you have to do at your end. You can create a dummy flag for backtesting. You can place an order in an account with no funds. Once you place the order, you will receive 'REJECTED' status.
  • RD2033
    Automatic generate access token use Selenium web driver, its working absolutely fine.
  • ANL
    Your question was 1: Would I have to manually generate my access token

What I mean Kite API does not have the feature to generate access token automatically.

You can use the Selenium driver on your end, but prefer to generate manually. Anyway, you can not automate a 2FA pin because you have to type it manually, so the term automation does not apply here.