instrument last_price is always 0 for type eq

pranksterguru
i can see the last_price updated for security type FUT but for EQ its always 0 , why is it?
it will be great if we get the last_price for EQ also
  • sujith
    @pranksterguru,
    Can you elaborate?
  • pranksterguru
    when you hit https://api.kite.trade/instruments, you will get all the instruments of NSE and BSE

below are the fields returned as response
    instrument_token, exchange_token, tradingsymbol, name, last_price, expiry, strike, tick_size, lot_size, instrument_type, segment, exchange

last_price has most recent price of an instrument except for the instrument type EQ.

can you send price for EQ also?
  • sujith
    @pranksterguru,
    getInstruments is generated only once day before market to get list of tradingsymbols that are being traded for the day. It is not meant for fetching price. Its response is around 6.5MB, it is redundant to keep calling it all day.
    Are you sure, you want to keep parsing 6.5MB of data every minute or second?

I would suggest, use websockets for live prices.
  • pranksterguru
    i want to hit the getinstrument API just once before the market start around 8 am... i want to prepare my strategies depending on last traded price of all the instruments.
    i dont want to hit the getquote api for the number of instruments that nse and bse has..!
  • Shabeershah2002
    yes this will be really helpful to work on strategies, as it is difficult to use WebSocket if we need to get for example 500 instruments last traded price because you have set limit for symbol subscription to 200, if you could provide LTP for EQ as well will be beneficial , you may set limit to 1/min or something grater , so that users will not misuse this for getting live data instead of using WeSocket.

further , is that last_price on the instrument list really the latest price the time when we download it ?

• Shabeershah2002
    Hi
    Any update on this ?, will be really helpful if you could provide that ...
  • pranksterguru
    @Shabeershah2002 not sure if they will do it.

but what i have done as a work around is d
  • sujith
    @Shabeershah2002, @pranksterguru,
    Instrument dump is generated every morning once and the last price field you see is last traded price what we get from the exchange. I would suggest not to rely on it.