API errors

kuljeetkeshav
Today I got 503: Service Unavailable error while trying to fetch my positions.

I also had an API request failure error last week while fetching the quotes for Nifty. Can anyone who's been working with Zerodha API for longer, please educate me as to how frequent these errors are. Its a hassle having to go back to my script and control my trades manually each time the API fails. I understand that error in a technical system is inevitable but there are other free API providers in the market and the fact that I am paying 2k per month to access Zerodha API precisely means that I don't want an error rate of once or twice per week. It completely defeats the purpose and intent of me paying a couple of thousand bucks per month.
If the admins could tell me a solution to this, or people in the community could tell me how frequent this is and if other providers are dealing with this better, then I would happily switch and save my bucks.
Thanks!
  • sujith
    While we strive everyday to make all the transactions happen smoothly. API errors can occur because of various reasons. It is not a single machine you are connected to. It is a complex network which connects clients, CDN, multiple cloud setup, multiple physical server setup, vendor machines, lease lines to exchange. We can't pinpoint where issue may occur, we can only try and mitigate the risk/breakage.
    Someone digs road in Mumbai and it may break the lease lines to exchange orders won't go through. Trust me these instances have happened in past.
    If you get failure while fetching data (5xx error), add some delay and retry. The aim should be to make the program more robust.
    Kite Connect is the best solution available in the market in terms of simplicity, reliability, stability, features, execution speed, and ease of use. If you feel 2k is more for a product of this quality, you can try out other APIs and then come back :)