Couple of Questions on Historical Data

sudhirshettyk
Hi,

Couple of questions on historical data . I am thinking of switching from my current data provider to zerodha , but i need following answers to make a decision :

1) I am looking for 30min interval data . I will need open,high,low,close of the 30min interval (not the days' high low, but of the respective interval) Is this available. ?

2) Say , i query for 30min interval data at 10:31 AM . The data is guranteed to be available for the period of 10.00 AM to 10.30 AM . In other words , what is the latency expected before the 30min interval data of previous interval is available?

3) What is the rate limiting on the fetching historical data ? I would be looking to fetch historical data for 1000 stocks every 30min interval in a span of 2 minutes.

4) Is the rate limiting on historical data is clubbed with Order placement related API calls ?

5) Do you have the option of fetching as a csv file/json data of all symbols with a single API request for a given 30min interval (the csv file/json data would have 1 entry per symbol in this case of a single interval and hence is more efficient)?

6) I understand you do the corporate action adjustments only over the weekend . In that case we will have to adjust ourselves for rest of the corporate actions . What is the way to know untill what 'ex-dt" have you applied corporate actions adjustments already . I dont want to implement the crude ways of comparing previous close and your quoted price etc to determine this . Preferably a separate api call or a last-corp-action-adjusted_date specified along each returned data is preferable.
Alternatively , you could provide the option of selecting a fully non-adjusted data and leave the adjustment to user. Your current system of being uncertain about a data is adjusted or not leaves us with implementation complexity and uncertainity.

BTW , since NSE provides all details of forth-coming corporate actions , you should be able to do it on the fly instead of updating only over the weekend.

7)What kinds of corpactions are adjusted for . viz , split,bonus,reverse-split ?

8) How reliable is the historical data availability ? Is the server decoupled from servers implementing other service components implementations which could get heavily loaded on a highly volatile day , like OMS part etc while the load on historical data access is generally expected to be uniform and predictable

If above questions have a different answer w.r.t the upcoming v3.0 release , please specify .

Thanks for your time .

Best regards,
Sudhir Shetty
  • sujith
    Hi @sudhirshettyk,
    1) I am looking for 30min interval data . I will need open,high,low,close of the 30min interval (not the days' high low, but of the respective interval) Is this available. ?
    Yes, you will get OHLC of that interval.
    2) Say , i query for 30min interval data at 10:31 AM . The data is guranteed to be available for the period of 10.00 AM to 10.30 AM . In other words , what is the latency expected before the 30min interval data of previous interval is available?
    Yes, at 10:31 you can expect 10:00 candle. It might be delayed by 10 to 20 seconds because it is a database write operation which will be happening for all the scrips.
    3) What is the rate limiting on the fetching historical data ? I would be looking to fetch historical data for 1000 stocks every 30min interval in a span of 2 minutes.

4) Is the rate limiting on historical data is clubbed with Order placement related API calls ?
    All HTTP calls on Kite Connect are limited to 3. We don't differentiate between historical API call and order API call.
    5) Do you have the option of fetching as a csv file/json data of all symbols with a single API request for a given 30min interval (the csv file/json data would have 1 entry per symbol in this case of a single interval and hence is more efficient)?
    You can expect the response in JSON format.
    6) I understand you do the corporate action adjustments only over the weekend . In that case we will have to adjust ourselves for rest of the corporate actions . What is the way to know untill what 'ex-dt" have you applied corporate actions adjustments already . I dont want to implement the crude ways of comparing previous close and your quoted price etc to determine this . Preferably a separate api call or a last-corp-action-adjusted_date specified along each returned data is preferable.
    Alternatively , you could provide the option of selecting a fully non-adjusted data and leave the adjustment to user. Your current system of being uncertain about a data is adjusted or not leaves us with implementation complexity and uncertainity.

BTW , since NSE provides all details of forth-coming corporate actions , you should be able to do it on the fly instead of updating only over the weekend.
    I am afraid, we can't apply corporate actions on the fly.
    Once our new back office is live, we have plans of giving out corporate actions API.
    7)What kinds of corpactions are adjusted for . viz , split,bonus,reverse-split ?
    We handle split and bonus for equity segment.
    8) How reliable is the historical data availability ? Is the server decoupled from servers implementing other service components implementations which could get heavily loaded on a highly volatile day , like OMS part etc while the load on historical data access is generally expected to be uniform and predictable
    The historical data server is independent of other servers.
  • sudhirshettyk
    Thanks Sujith for the quick reply.
    Two more clarifications :
    [Sujith] You can expect the response in JSON format.

Question : Did you also mean that data of all symbols could be fetched using single API access ?

Regarding question (6) :
    Currently, what is the recommended fool proof way of determining if a historical data is corp-action adjusted or not and determine upto what date the corp-action is adjusted ?
  • sudhirshettyk
    Hi Sujith,

Please help me with the answers once you find some time.

Regards,
    Sudhir
  • sujith
    Hi @sudhirshettyk,
    You will have to make separate API calls for each scrip and you can fetch historical data in the following intervals,
    All intervals are in days,
    "minute": 30,
    "hour": 365,
    "day": 2000,

"3minute": 90,
    "5minute": 90,
    "10minute": 90,
    "15minute": 180,
    "30minute": 180,
    "60minute": 365
    We apply corporate actions on data till 2004. I am afraid as of now, there is no way to determine if corporate action is applied for a scrip or not.
  • sudhirshettyk
    Thanks Sujith . Then it is more prudent for me to wait until either one of the following is available in your new release :
    a) Raw unadjusted data + optionally corpaction info . We, the users, can adjust ourselves
    OR
    b) Corpaction adjusted data + date of last applied corp-action ex-dt.
    OR
    c) Corpaction applied at your end every day end and hence guaranteed that data is always corp adjusted.

You can close the thread.