Question regarding version 3

sunny
Hi Kite Connect Team,

I am currently using older version of kite connect and quite happy with it. but looks like I need to upgrade it version 3 sooner or later. I have few questions in my mind, Can you kindly answer it ?

My personal trading strategy involves receiving live data and I continuously compute stuff. After reading the document I found that now I have to connect using following line of code:

1. var ticker = new KiteTicker({
api_key: "api_key",
access_token: "access_token"
});

As far as I know access token expires after few hours, That means I have to regenerate this token again and again ? Right now my personal app works fine and I don't have to worry about it. PLEASE confirm, Its very important for me.

2. if I have to regenerate access_token, I have to follow the manual process of hitting the URL with API key etc. Is there any automated way to generate it ?

3. I also heard that I can have maximum of 3 connections and with each connection I can subscribe upto 200 tickers. This means maximum quote I can receive upto 600 tickers.

If answers to my questions are all YES, I am in deep trouble. I have to re-code the entire strategy.

Thanks
Sunny
Tagged:
  • sujith
    sujith edited February 2018
    Hi,
    Yes, you need a valid access token to connect to Kite Ticker.
    The access token is valid for one whole trading session. We flush all the tokens once in the morning between 7:30 to 8:30. You can login after that.

It is mandatory by the exchange that a trader has to login manually at least once a day. We don't recommend automating login.

You can subscribe for up to 1000 instruments from Kite Connect 3.

You might have to re-write your strategy.
  • prakash.jj
    Hi Sujith. It's such a waste of time to rewrite entire strategy for v3 and spend time and effort to make it stable. I understand previous version will stop working after sometime. Bit what is that duration you r looking for. Is it in weeks months or year. That helps us in planning accordingly.

Also, with so many issues being reported on v3 I think previous version is more stable that v3. I wonder if you guys do test and release a product or treat your customers as free testers. I am not happy to move to unstable version from a stable version which is atleast working fine for my purpose. So I expect the previous version to be supported atleast couple more months and give that time to make your v3 stable.
  • sunny
    I totally agree with Prakash.

@sujith - Please help me to understand following:

It is mandatory by the exchange that a trader has to login manually at least once a day. We don't recommend automating login.

I am not acting in the capacity of a trader. I am just *READING* the data. I think you should build a logic that separates automated trading (execution of order) vs Reading of data.

You can subscribe for up to 1000 instruments from Kite Connect 3.

Is there anyway to subscribe data for all the tickers ?

• sujith
    @prakash.jj,
    I understand your point. Migration is a pain for everyone but it is inevitable.
    Once we announce the date users will have several weeks to migrate before we kill the old setup.
    The Kite Connect 3 is stable and we are using it in production as well.
    If you face any issue you can let us know and we will resolve it.

@sunny,
    Unfortunately, the live market data by a member(broker) can be provided only to a logged in client (trader).

You can open up to three Kite Ticker connections with a Kite Connect app. Each connection can be used to subscribe for up to 1000 instruments.
    If you planning to subscribe to 70k+ instruments you will have to use multiple Kite Connect apps.