Gap between high price and actual tick price -> Missing in streaming?

trade_then
trade_then edited March 2018 in .Net API client
@sujith
I am dealing with Future stocks for the first time. while drawing chart of them in real-time
I have noticed size/price gap in the High and actual tick price few times now in Nifty futures. Is this normal?

Please see the pdf and notice that in NIFTY FUTURE High and the actual price even in 5th depth is far from each other.
whereas in BANKNIFTY FUTURE High and actual price at 5th depth are consistent. see pdf you will understand what i am talking.

Thanks
Regards

Tagged:
  • sujith
    @trade_then,
    Can you elaborate? The question is not clear.
  • trade_then
    trade_then edited March 2018
    In BANKNIFTY future chart which is 2nd chart below NIFTYFUTURE chart every time a new high is made it is because buy/sell price depth has moved to that price also.

whereas In NIFTYFUTURE chart, when new HIGH was reached, it did not coincide with change in price. i.e High became 10419 but buy/sell depth prices have never reached 10419. so how could a trade happen at that price when there was no buyer or seller at that price.. where as, later on when ever new High was reached.
    buy/sell depth prices depths coincided with it. i.e there was offer and demand at that price.

if you still don't understand tell me I will expound it further.

Thanks
    Regards

PS: Have you tried zooming the pdf.
  • Matti
    Hey @trade_then
    The exchange streams millions of ticks in a day. Not all of these are captured by the trading platform. What this means is that there could have been a tick that was captured by the charting engine but never showed up on the market depth. This happening the other way around is also possible and that scenario has been explained in detail by Nithin here.

What you've experienced is essentially the same thing. As long as the high you see on the chart is within the OHLC range that you see on the market depth, this is normal behaviour.
  • trade_then
    trade_then edited March 2018
    @Nikhil.A Thanks for the response.
    I know about this stuff. I don't know why it never crossed my mind.
    All this while I was thinking somebody put a stoploss order
    on the wrong side and somebody got lucky with that.
    This tick skip thing is scarry! .

Somebody throw an idea at Nithin to start up his own Stock Exchange. so we can come up with solutions to deal with such issues.

Thanks
    Regards

• Matti
    @trade_then Hah! The exchanges do provide tick by tick data. It's not something a retail trading platform can consume and display though. There could be millions of ticks in a second. Check out the exchange data offerings here.