Please stop suffixing additional characters to symbol name

VarunAgw
This is quite annoying problem.

Example:

NSE:NDTV-BE
BSE:KALPATPOWR*

There are lot of similar symbols. The main problem is they don't work with other API's.

Suppose I have NSE:NDTV-BE and I want to get information for it using a 3rd party API. It won't work because other API's doesn't recognize NSE:NDTV-BE. They would expect NSE:NDTV.

Same problem is other way too. I was trying to retrieve historical data for "BSE:KALPATPOWR". But it didn't work with zerodha api. Why? Because it was expecting "*" in the end.

I am currently making NDTV-BE work by removing the suffix programmatically. But same approach won't work for "BSE:KALPATPOWR". I don't what I should suffix to add to it to make it work with Zerodha.

My suggestion is if you want to add these suffix, add it in description instead. Or add another column in https://api.kite.trade/instruments which maps them bi-directionally.
  • sujith
    sujith edited July 2020
    @VarunAgw,
    We don't do this. It is done by the exchange. We have no control over it. We just pass on the information that is provided by the exchange.
  • sujith
    BE, BL series is the NSE's convention of naming symbols when it is moved to T2T segment, where intraday trading is not allowed. Only delivery trades are allowed.
  • sujith
    * is the BSE's convention to denote any event on the instrument.
  • VarunAgw
    Ok. Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.