How about customizing the kite User Interface?

gully
Currently I assume u guys donot provide any way to customize the Kite UI. Is it feasible to write browser plugin(as in my case google chrome) to hijack the UI and provide my customization on top of it?
Before I plunge wanted a feasibility check.
  • Vivek
    @gully It must be quiet easy to do so since all requests are ajax calls. You can go ahead with it :smile:
  • gully
    @vivek thanks.The ajax call is definitely a way to customize.However if I am looking to add extra charting features e.g if I want to append a additional DOM element in the charting area is there a way to do it?I ask this question as I see that the charting area is rendered as a canvas element.A bit skeptical about modifying/re-rendering canvas(can end up into a performance kill).Is there a better way you can suggest ?
  • Vivek
    Vivek edited April 2016
    @gully Charting is a third party vendor product, not developed by us so we can't help much on that.
  • anupshinde
    My 2 cents...

Kite uses a chart lib http://documentation.chartiq.com/
    I didn't try modifying the charts a lot, but a simple thing like this works:
    (A mouse button or touch pad was clicked down) http://documentation.chartiq.com/tutorial-Click interaction.html

Its a pretty mature lib with extensive documentation - you should be able to create your own stuff without dealing with the underlying canvas.

The Kite App is an angular app that seems to be built with good modularity and standards. That means you can pretty much rely on injecting your own stuff within the webapp and expect it to stay reliable for a long time unless they deliberately change something.
    How you'd inject is your choice - but I guess it would injected via a chrome extension :)

A word of caution: This might be okay for personal use and hobby dev. But for any commercial use, clear out the semi-legal areas outside of the forums.

If you want to toss some ideas around, pm me: atob "U2t5cGU6IGFudXBzaGluZGU"