repeatation of instrument token

viraj3368
i have a few questions regarding instrument token.
1. who decides instrument token? NSE or Zerodha?

2. why are they not unique? i
i.e. lets say instrument token 12345678 is assigned nifty 12000 call option strike price .
but sometimes 12345678 is also assigned to banknifty 22500 call option strike price.

3. many times open interest data received in kite api does not match with option chain on nse website. why?
  • sujith
    @viraj3368,
    An instrument token is a token that is assigned to instruments by Zerodha which is based on an exchange token. An exchange token might have duplicate like INFY's exchange token might be the same as CRUDE's exchange token on MCX. This is just hypothetical. But scenarios can happen like this.

The exchange re-uses an exchange token when an instrument expires. So the second point you mentioned can happen.

Kite Connect API provides live market data and the NSE website data is delayed by a few minutes.
  • Rekha
    if exchange is using expired instrument tokens, how do we get reliable historical data of oi for an instrument token? how to ensure that the historical data is not for expired token?
  • sujith
    We handle the exchange token reuse and you get the OI of the current instrument under that instrument token. If they want historical for expired instruments then you may use continuous mode.