How Zerodha's search functions so fast?

kalesh13
I just started developing web apps and I really love Kite Web app. How do Zerodha's search works so fast? Is it by using the data from the javascript file? What framework are you using for js rendering?
Tagged:
  • tonystark
    The search algorithm is powered by many heuristics. It is using instruments dump internally. Kite 2 is using Angular and Kite 3 is using Vue.js as front-end framework.
  • amitkukadia94
    Searching for Stocks is fine.
    I am trying to implement a search for F&O and cant get my head around it. The complete name is just one string.
    It would be really helpful if you can give me a direction to implement it in my backend.
  • sujith
    @amitkukadia94,
    Since we have around 100k instruments, a plain search should do the job but if you really want to optimize it you need to start by breaking the symbol into exchanges, segments, etc and search those subsets.
  • amitkukadia94
    thanks, Sujit.
    the main challenge was searching F&O contracts. For that, I made a name for them in the name column which contains its script, expiry, type of contract(ce pe fut) and strike price with spaces between them. Then I added a fulltext index to them.
    Works like a charm now.