Staging/Sandbox/Test environment for Kite API

rahulchitale
Am sure this one has come up before. Any timelines in which a sandbox/staging environment for Kite API can be made available for API users ?
  • Kailash
    Although this has been delayed by several months, this is definitely something we'll make available as soon as possible.
  • krisys
    @Kailash , We can work around this by using another app for time being, but the kite connect api requires credits for it to function. It will be good if you can waive that off for the test accounts. It's a bit painful to keep changing the redirect URL again and again.
  • rahulchitale
    Hi @Krisys - can you elaborate on what you are talking about ? Not quite understood on how a second app can help substitution of a API staging platform.
  • Kailash
    @krisys This has been on our list since forever, and we've done quite a lot of work on it. It's just that our focus has been elsewhere lately. Once our current efforts are pushed into production, we'll resume our work on the sandbox environment.
  • krisys
    @Kailash , We look forward to it.

@rahulchitale , For logging in via kite, you do need to set a login handler, there is no option to set the dev version (localhost). Currently, all I care about is being able to login and get my portfolio via the API, irrespective of what app is being used to fetch this information. Was I able to explain the problem correctly?

Do correct / suggest better alternatives if you have any.
  • Kailash
    If you are referring to the post-login redirect_url field, it is definitely possible to set an http://localhost URL there.
  • krisys
    @Kailash , It is definitely possible to set post login redirect_url to localhost, I never denied that. We developers should be able to login on local environments even when our app is live(Which means Kite app has the live url set as login redirect_url). Isn't it?
  • Kailash
    @krisys Ah, understood. We do not have a sanbox mode yet, which is why there's no seamless way to switch URLs. Once the sandbox is ready, this shouldn't be a problem.
  • sujith
    @krisys,
    You don't have to do multiple login for getting access token on your production and test environment. You can share same access token on test environment also. But make sure to set user_id and public _token while initialising KiteConnect.
  • krisys
    @sujith , I see. That's something I can try out. Also, these tokens expire every single day. Don't they?
  • sujith
    @krisys,
    Yes all access tokens are flushed everyday.