selling with different exchange from holding using api

chaklin
situation - need to sell equity from holding with a different exchange using API.
Problem - in the holding, tradingsymbol changes based on the exchange selected by system based on previous highest close.
Now lets say for today i see holding based on BSE symbol and i need to sell with NSE, how do i identify NSE symbol for the same either using instrument list or API?
  • sujith
    For now, you will have to use tradingsymbol or company name. We are planning to include ISIN column in instruments master in near future.
  • tahseen

import pandas as pd
    df = pd.read_csv('INSTRUMENT_FILE')
    dataset = df[ df.exchange.isin( [ 'BSE' , 'NSE' ] ) ] [ [ 'exchange' , 'tradingsymbol' ] ]
    Now, you know how you can use dataset data frame to find ?
  • chaklin
    @sujith , neither the trading symbol nor the names are same for all. Pls can you elaborate how to do that. Note I am using javakiteconnect
  • chaklin
    @tahseen , not sure what problem you are trying to solve with python lib, but i am not trying to just filter out a list based on exchanges.
  • tahseen
    tahseen edited August 2021
    @chaklin

Now lets say for today i see holding based on BSE symbol and
    i need to sell with NSE, how do i identify NSE symbol for the same either
    using instrument list or API?

For this it means the instrument would have a name, but different trading symbols for BSE and NSE and you want to know the BSE and NSE trading symbol name against that name. Correct me if am wrong

• chaklin
    Hi @tahseen , i need trading symbol of the other exchange, this is true. But the name is also not common to the two in the instrument list. What I was looking for is a way to do this. I am looking for a generalized solution that will not fail in any case.
  • tahseen
    @chaklin give example of an instrument. I think name would same, trading symbol would be different
  • sujith
    @tahseen,
    Though tradingsymbol is same for most of the cases, there are edge cases wherein trading symbol is different for same instrument on different exchanges. The solution is to introduce a field which is ISIN based on which it will be easier to map same instruments of different exchanges.

We will release new instruments master with ISIN soon.
  • chaklin
    Thank You @sujith . Is there a list already available for edge cases. I will use it for my purpose till we get ISIN. I tried to filter out unmatched ones and got more than 2k so will not be possible to match them manually.
  • sujith
    sujith edited August 2021
    The instruments master keeps changing everyday, on NSE few instruments are moved to T2T segments and back to EQ. It happens on BSE also sometimes. We don't have a list like that.

PS: In the world of trading change is the only constant :)
  • chaklin
    any timeline when the instrument list will get updated with ISIN
  • sujith
    We don't have any timeline as of now. It will be up soon.