Margin - Can we get margins for multiple instruments in one call?

Gjain75
Can we get margins for multiple instrument tokens in one call, like we can get ltp, currently I know only getting one symbol at a time through kite.order_margins(order_param_single_sell)
  • Gjain75
    to clarify, need help on this with python code, saw the documentation for basket orders, but couldnt see python code for it..maybe am not well informed..but do need help
  • SRIJAN
    SRIJAN edited October 2021
    But you can just use the order_margins. Just pass in a list of orders. Basket orders api is for enjoying margin benefit and it will give bunch of useless information if you want to trade in different stocks or derivatives. And it seems you want margin for different orders of different stocks or derivatives. So just use order margins api.
  • rakeshr
    Can we get margins for multiple instrument tokens in one call
    Yes, you can use order_margin with list of orders. Refer an example here.
  • parikshitbhinde
    Yes, you can use order_margin with list of orders. Refer an example here.
    I ran this example for basket order margin. Changed the symbols to NIFTY21NOV18000CE and NIFTY21NOV18000PE, but forgot to change the quantity from 75 and 150 to 50 and 100 (multiple of NIFTY lot size). I still managed to get a margin. Of course it is not meaningful. How is it possible?
  • rakeshr
    Order margins is calculated per quantity. Margin is calculating the risk which only depends on the base quantity(i.e 1 here), not on the allowed trading lot(which can change or be any number). So, you can fetch margin for any quantity multiplier of its base quantity i.e 1 qty.
  • Gjain75
    @rakeshr Thanks a lot. Its exactly what I needed. thanks to others too for their contribution.
  • Gjain75
    Getting following error with multi margin (trying for all Stock Futures symbols as test run):

DataException: Unknown Content-Type (text/plain; charset=utf-8) with response: (b'Error when parsing request')

Following is the code:
    order_param_multi = []
    for symbol in futures_symbols: #this is list of stock futures tradingsymbols taken from dump
    lot_size = df.loc[df.tradingsymbol == symbol, "lot_size"].iloc[0]

order_param_multi.append(
    {"exchange": "NFO",
    "tradingsymbol": symbol,
    "transaction_type": "SELL",
    "variety": "regular",
    "product": "MIS",
    "order_type": "MARKET",
    "quantity": int(lot_size),
    "consider_positions" : False
    })
    margin_detail = kite.order_margins(order_param_multi)
  • Gjain75
    below is full error stack:

DEBUG:urllib3.connectionpool:Starting new HTTPS connection (1): api.kite.trade:443
    DEBUG:urllib3.connectionpool:https://api.kite.trade:443 "POST /margins/orders HTTP/1.1" 400 26
    Traceback (most recent call last):

File "C:\Users\Zerodha\AppData\Local\Temp/ipykernel_14104/3982996301.py", line 1, in

File "C:\ProgramData\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\kiteconnect\connect.py", line 764, in order_margins
    return self._post("order.margins", params=params, is_json=True)

File "C:\ProgramData\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\kiteconnect\connect.py", line 840, in _post
    return self._request(route, "POST", url_args=url_args, params=params, is_json=is_json, query_params=query_params)

File "C:\ProgramData\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\kiteconnect\connect.py", line 918, in _request
    raise ex.DataException("Unknown Content-Type ({content_type}) with response: ({content})".format(

DataException: Unknown Content-Type (text/plain; charset=utf-8) with response: (b'Error when parsing request')
  • rakeshr
    {"exchange": "NFO",
    "consider_positions" : False
    }
    order_margins method by default considers existing positions and open orders. You can refer to method detail here. So, you don't have to send consider_positions param in order. You can refer here for all order param.
  • Gjain75
    I did try without consider_positions before including it. It was throwing the same error. So tried including this, the error remained same.
  • Gjain75
    Just now tried again after removing consider_positions, still throwing the same error
  • Gjain75
    following are 5 tradingsymbols, found in fno dump, returning error on calling individual margins, tried after removing these also, still persists the same error...

['AMBUJACEM30DEC2127JAN22FUT',
    'FINNIFTY21D07FUT',
    'FINNIFTY21DECFUT',
    'FINNIFTY22JANFUT',
    'PAGEIND22JANFUT']
  • rakeshr
    AMBUJACEM30DEC2127JAN22FUT
    This is a spread contracts i.e spread over two months 30DEC27JAN, you can ignore these. We will remove such spread contracts from the instrument file.
    For the rest other contracts, I just tried and it worked perfectly fine.
    [{"exchange": "NFO",
    "tradingsymbol": "PAGEIND22JANFUT",
    "transaction_type": "BUY",
    "quantity": 5
    },
    {
    "exchange": "NFO",
    "tradingsymbol": "FINNIFTY21DECFUT",
    },
    {
    "exchange": "NFO",
    "tradingsymbol": "FINNIFTY21D07FUT",
    }]
    [{'type': 'equity', 'tradingsymbol': 'PAGEIND22JANFUT', 'exchange': 'NFO', 'span':
    37940.700500000006, 'exposure': 0, 'option_premium': 0, 'additional': 0, 'bo': 0, 'cash': 0, 'var': 0, 'pnl': {'realised':
    0, 'unrealised': 0}, 'leverage': 1, 'total': 37940.700500000006}, {'type': 'equity', 'tradingsymbol':
    'FINNIFTY21DECFUT', 'exchange': 'NFO', 'span': 13149.089, 'exposure': 0, 'option_premium': 0, 'additional': 0, 'bo':
    0, 'cash': 0, 'var': 0, 'pnl': {'realised': 0, 'unrealised': 0}, 'leverage': 1, 'total': 13149.089}, {'type': 'equity',
    'tradingsymbol': 'FINNIFTY21D07FUT', 'exchange': 'NFO', 'span': 13119.900000000001, 'exposure': 0,
    'option_premium': 0, 'additional': 0, 'bo': 0, 'cash': 0, 'var': 0, 'pnl': {'realised': 0, 'unrealised': 0}, 'leverage': 1,
    'total': 13119.900000000001}]

Can you check, if you are using an updated version of python kite connect client lib? Using pip show kiteconnect
  • Gjain75
    (base) PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> pip show kiteconnect
    Name: kiteconnect
    Version: 3.9.4
  • rakeshr
    Name: kiteconnect
    Version: 3.9.4
    Check for Location in above response.
    File "C:\ProgramData\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\kiteconnect\connect.py"
    You should check kite connect lib version inside conda env.
  • Gjain75
    @rakeshr Thank you. the version was fine.

However, I could figure out that if I send less than 240 tradingsymbols, it works fine, >= 240 symbols at a time returns error. Have worked out my solution accordingly.

thank you.
This discussion has been closed.