twisted.internet.error.ReactorNotRestartable

Rekha
How shall I restart the websocket as and when I wish through my logic. At some point in my logic and use kws.stop() command to close the websocket thread. At some other point in my logic, I need to call the function which creates websocket again and use the ticks. but when I do that, it throws this error:

what does it mean and how I solve this issue?
Thanks in advance
  • rakeshr
    This error is thrown by the Twisted when you are trying to re-run a reactor that was stopped. You can not use the same process to re-run the reactor, once it's stopped by the reactor.stop() event. This same event is used in the on_close method as well.
  • Rekha
    Thanks Rakeshr, I get this much now. Facing new challenge now.

Even if I use close() function like kws.close() and later recall the function that creates the websocket and run the thread, it fails to create the websocket. How do I close and restart the websocket as and when required by the logic that I am writing?
  • rakeshr
    How do I close and restart the websocket as and when required by the logic that I am writing?
    You can't. You will have to spun-up the whole process again to initiate a websocket connection if it's forced closed/stopped from your end.
  • Rekha
    oh okay. so the only solution left is to use multiprocessing. create a process for websocket. use it. close it when I want. and restart it. sounds plausible?
  • Rekha
    or, don't use the close() or stop() function at all. check the websocket through kws.is_connected(). if it is False, return from the thread.
  • rakeshr
    Yes, you can keep the websocket connection alive and know the current status using is_connected method.
  • Rekha
    what happens to the websocket connection when the token expires due to the change of date? will it restart working if I update the access_token through another function?
  • rakeshr
    what happens to the websocket connection when the token expires due to the change of date?
    You can use subscribe method to subscribe to the new list of tokens.
  • Rekha
    I reframe the question: what happens to websocket connection when the access token expires? and when does access token expires? Does the expiry of access token has no effect on websocket?