Clarification on Maximum Symbols for OHLC Data Collection Under API Rate Limit

vigneshfinacc
Hello,

I understand that the kite Connect API has a rate limit of 3 requests per second.

I would like to know how many symbols OHLC data I can collect within this rate limit.

Does each API request for OHLC data cover only one symbol and if so what is the best approach to efficiently collect OHLC data for a larger number of symbols (e.g., 250 or more)?

Any advice or best practices for handling this within the given rate limit would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance
  • sujith
    You can refer to all the historical data FAQs here.

Ideal solution is the dump all the data at your end and use that as the source.
  • vigneshfinacc
    Thank you for your response :)

I am currently testing my strategy in the live market with updates every 15 minutes for 200 symbols.

I’m trying to determine whether the Historical API would be a suitable solution, as it provides OHLC data at precise intervals. However, I’m unclear on how many symbols can be queried in parallel.

The WebSocket option supports up to 3,000 symbols, but it would require us to manually calculate and validate the OHLC data, adding complexity to the process.

If it’s possible to retrieve OHLC data for 200 symbols using the Historical API with 3 API calls within a 5-second window, it would be the ideal choice. Could you confirm if this approach is feasible? If not, we’ll move forward with the WebSocket API.

I appreciate your guidance on this!
  • sujith
    The historical data API supports only single instrument. You can know more here.