Tick size

mnkartik
How accurate is the tick size in the instruments.csv, because for some stocks the tick is not matching with the prices in the minute data.
Tagged:
  • sujith
    sujith edited March 2017
    Hi @mnkartik,
    Tick size is accurate in instrument dump. It is being used across all our systems. Can you mention any example where you see the difference in minute data? We will check and get back to you.
  • mnkartik
    HI @sujith

Feb 21 2017 instrument list :
    136362756 532667 SUZLON SUZLON ENERGY 0 0 0.05

and checked the minute tick data of date 2016-03-18.csv.

But I would like to mention on point that the instruments data was pulled on Feb 21 2017. So here does the tick change every day. what I mean is do we need to check the instruments daily. And if yes, does the previous day tick gets carry forward to the next day or not.

pls clarify.
  • sujith
    Hi @mnkartik,
    For SUZLON BSE(136362756), we don't have minute data for march 2016.

Instruments will change every day, it is because some new stocks might get added, some might be banned or some might be moved to other categories. I would suggest fetching instrument file every day once.
    It is very unlikely that tick size for NSE scrips will change.
    For BSE, they may change from 1 paise to 5 paise or vice versa for penny stocks. But it won't change frequently.
  • mnkartik
    mnkartik edited March 2017
    Hi @Sujith,

What abt the variation for big stocks ?
  • sujith
    @mnkartik,
    Tick size won't change for any scrip. It is very rare that tick size will change.