Retrieving market quotes---query for some instruments return nothing

Santosh
My program downloads list of all the trade-able instruments and saves it in a database. Next I provide option for user to select an instrument of his choice from this list.

For a selected instrument of his choice I use "http get" as described in API to retrieve market quotes.
[response = requests.get("https://api.kite.trade/instruments/NSE/INFY?api_key=xxx&access_token=yyy")]

While testing I found that some of the calls return no response from zerodha server.
The instruments for which this happens are: NETVISTAIT-BL, NEXTMEDIA ...there might be many more. It was just a random test..which revealed this issue.

So I have following queries:
1. Why is it happening?
2. If It is because those stocks have some issues, with credibility or are temporarily barred or are no longer listed....I would like to filter them out, by getting a list of all the instruments which are not trade-able on a particular day or time.
3. If I present non-trading stocks to users...it might be considered a bad feature of my software.

Kindly help.
Santosh.

• sujith
    Hi @Santosh,
    Scrips you have mentioned above are not traded and hence you didn't get any ticks.
    It could be moved to some other series. If liquidity is less it will be moved from EQ series to BL, BE series. For more information, you can check this blog post https://www.truedata.in/blog/what-do-the-nse-series-eq-be-bl-bt-gc-il-iq-mean/

We don't get notified from the exchange on which segment a scrip is being traded. The only way to find out is from CSV file provided by the exchange here https://www.nseindia.com/products/content/equities/equities/equities.htm
  • Santosh
    @Sujith, Thanks again.

Now if we look at the list of exchanges: we have NFO, NSE, BFO, BSE, MCX and CDS. You have provided me with good information regarding NSE. What about other exchanges? Does it happen with other exchanges too?

If yes, can you kindly provide me required links for those exchanges too. This will save me a great deal of search time and I can move forward with implementation.

Thanks,
    Santosh
  • Santosh
    @sujith, I have noticed this issue much earlier with kite connect around 2 months ago, but for the sake of development ignored it and moved ahead with development. Now it has returned to bite me. Please take a look at "Pi". BSE is categorized well into segments...A, B , E, F, FC, ZP and so on. I can select BSE indices too in "pi".

But there are no BSE indices like AUTO, BSE-AUTO, BANKEX and so on available in the instrument list itself, which we download from kite connect. Many other are missing too.

The implication of this is that my software will not be able to provide comprehensive list of trade-able scrips to the users. Its time I need to get a clarity on this issue and have a workable plan before, I lock the design of market-watch for this version of my software. The same issues are plaguing kite itself.

Post Script: My development platform is flexibility enough to get the data from other sources and mix with what I get from Kite API to present a comprehensive picture to the customer. So if the current API version is having limitation...I understand it. What I do need is the sources of information with which I can filter and improve upon the results....Like how and from where to get BSE Indices data or at least a list of limitations of current API in terms of instrument list...so that I can present data gracefully.

I have to suspend work on market-watch till I receive info from your end, in the meanwhile I will be moving ahead with my charting.

Kindly help.
    Santosh.
  • sujith
    Hi @Santosh,
    Kite Connect doesn't provide BSE indices data. It is on our list. Right now we have frozen developing new features as we are working on revamp of core apis.

BSE scrip categorization is a bit different from NSE. You can check out more details here.
  • Santosh
    Hi @sujith, Thanks. I have another related query....lets say my software receives data from a data vendor...of something which Kite connect doesn't support...for example BSE Indices. Will the kite Order API support it or there is limitation in that too?

Can a document describing Kite api limitation in handling exchanges and segments be made available? This will be very helpful in saving both time and money involved in the development.
  • Santosh
    Hi @sujith, any info on my previous query? I need to be clear on this before I start implementing order system.
  • sujith
    Hi @Santosh,
    A user can only trade on instruments available in instrument dump of KiteConnect.
  • Santosh
    Hi @sujith, Thanks. But this gives rise to another query...are the OMS of Kite and PI are different. Does Zerodha connects customers via different OMS depending upon what they choose - kite or PI?

I have been an active futures trader with Zerodha and have used Z5, Pi and Kite. So I have seen many iterations and migrations before I started developing something useful. GDFL was a data vending partner for zerodha for sometime too. So it doesn't sound too convincing that trading is possible only in instrument dump.

If you want to take the discussion on PM, I will be happy. But I am looking for some answers which can be really helpful.
  • Santosh
    Hi @sujith, can you clarify on this? It will help me to plan my product better.
  • sujith
    Hi @Santosh,
    Both Pi and Kite use same OMS.
    I am afraid we can't support trading on scrips that are not available in instrument dump.