Simultaneous sessions will stop working across Kite apps

tonystark
tonystark edited March 2020 in General
Hi,

To comply with exchange regulations we will be disabling simultaneous sessions across Kite apps with immediate effect.
For example, if you log in to Kite Web and then later log in to Kite Android or iOS then Kite Web session will expire.
At the same time, only one session will be valid.

This will not affect Kite Connect apps.

Thank you
  • y_sravan
    this is rediculous...
    exchange regulations
    what exchange regulations exactly? can you quote them
  • krtrader
    1. I log in to kite connect at 9 AM having two instances running at the same time with same user id.
    2. then I log in to Kite web at 10 AM.
    Will any of the session be logged out?
  • RishiS
    RishiS edited February 2020
    @tonystark Just to be clear, if I've logged into kiteconnect API and use it to query through the whole day from the program, then I log in through my android phone, it won't log out the kiteconnect API. Correct?
  • tonystark
    @y_sravan
    this is rediculous...
    Yes. I know. :smile:

@krtrader @RishiS Like I said in the post:
    This will not affect Kite Connect apps.
    If you experience any issue, let us know.
  • Vaga
    Vaga edited March 2020
    @tonystark I am using one access token to perform on one algo, another access token to perform 2nd algo and 3 access token to perform some backtest. Am I impacted by this change?
  • RishiS
    @Vaga I doesn't seem to affect me with simulations sessions in APIs
  • Vaga
    @RishiS Yes, it is working currently but is it intended to stop as well?
  • RishiS
    @Vaga He didn't say so. I don't know
  • shortwire
    @tonystark I am noticing that kite connect login logs me out of the web login. Is this something that is expected?
  • sujith
    This is because the kite connect login uses the kite web login. The solution is to log in to Kite Connect and then log in on the Kite web.
  • shortwire
    @sujith I understand what's the solution. My question was more to validate if this was due to the recent changes of disabling of simultaneous sessions as per exchange regulations. I had not noticed this behaviour in my last 2 years of using Kite connect.
  • sujith
    @shortwire,
    Yes, this was done to align with regulator's interests.
  • vijoeyz
    Is this still a problem today? Because, I face no problems whatsoever while I'm logged in simultaneously in Kite Web, Kite Connect, and the Android Kite app.
  • Algo7820
    Algo7820 edited June 2022
    This is not working for me @vijoeyz. I have my python client app registered as Client Connect App as well. When ever I login using the client app, my web session is logged out.
    I am using KiteConnect for python to generate kite session and perform trading.
    Can you help?
  • sujith
    This is because the kite connect login uses the kite web login. The solution is to log in to Kite Connect and then log in on the Kite web.
  • pseudo
    I am getting logged out many times from Kite Web even when I follow this workaround. Praveen from your customer care says that Kite Web and Kite API cannot be used at the same time. How will a user use your API is such a constraint?
  • vijoeyz
    I have been successfully using both Kite Web, Kite Connect, and Kite Android app simultaneously. There are two methods:

In the first method, login into Kite Web first, and in the same web browser perform the Kite Connect login flow. These both will use a single (the same) authentication token.

The second method is the opposite of the first: i.e., complete the Kite Connect login flow, and then the Kite Web. However, there is a catch in this method: you must tick the box "Login to Kite Web also?" every time! If you do not do this and log in to Kite Web separately (after Kite Connect login), that will generate a new token for Kite Web, which will invalidate Kite Connect's token!

Therefore, I follow the first method. It seems the Kite app uses a different method and does not affect or depend on Kite Web and Connect's shared token.
  • pseudo
    I have been using both too, but sometimes when I open multiple kite web tabs at same time, all my kite web sessions log out. When I raised this complaint, Zerodha customer care told me that we are not allowed to use web and API at the same time :/
  • vijoeyz
    Check your cookies settings and look up the internet for optimal settings. Which browser?

Zerodha's support never satisfied me. Usually, they only give standard copy-paste answers, but never specific answers. Don't depend on them.
  • pseudo
    I tried both Chrome & Brave, it happens only when I open multiple tab at one go (using bookmarks folder).

True, Zerodha Customer care quality has been degrading substantially over time, Nithin focusing more on money now!
  • vijoeyz
    Use only one browser. Very likely it's your setup giving issues.
  • pseudo
    I am using 1 browser only, just tried a different one to check if it was a browser issue.
    It is an issue at zerodha's end.
  • Arockiya_r
    Arockiya_r edited January 30
    it happens only when I open multiple tab at one go (using bookmarks folder).
    I believe this is not something that many people do; we will investigate to determine what is happening and get back.
  • pseudo
    Thank you Srini & Arockiya for looking into this. I would be surprised if all other traders open each tab 1 by 1 everyday!
  • sujith
    If you follow @vijoeyz way of logging in, then there won't be any issue.
    Saving a bookmark is just copying a url, it doesn't save cookies and all. If session exists then you will land on that url or else you will land on login screen.
  • pseudo
    It is not working Sujith, when I open multiple bookmarked tabs at once, it logs me out of all the sessions on kite web! This happens only on few days. Srini said he will look into this.
  • MAG
    when I open multiple bookmarked tabs at once, it logs me out of all the sessions on kite web
    @pseudo Are these bookmarked tabs in the same browser and browser session? How many tabs are you opening?
  • pseudo
    same browser, same session, 6-8 kite tabs
  • MAG
    same browser, same session, 6-8 kite tabs
    Can you walk me through the flow. If I understand the steps you take, maybe it will help me spot a probable cause for this issue.
This discussion has been closed.