Need for access token in fetching market quotes and historical data

krishnan1159
Hi Team,

I recently started using Kite trading API to automate trading. I went through the API documentation. I could understand the need for access token when placing orders and GTT. These operations will be with respect to the current logged in user. When we fetch market quotes and historical data, why we need access token? I am trying to build a system with queries the zerodha API to fetch market quotes periodically in a day. To build this, I need to a manual sign-in and then fetch access token daily. I want to collect data independently without any manual intervention. Could you please help me in this?
  • rakeshr
    @krishnan1159
    When we fetch market quotes and historical data, why we need access token?
    An access token is used to authenticate all incoming requests to Kite trade APIs. Accessing Historical data. quote, any endpoint/data in kite connect is part of paid service(kite connect), so auth is required to access the same.
    To build this, I need to a manual sign-in and then fetch access token daily. I want to collect data independently without any manual intervention.
    The exchange has made a manual login mandate. We have to follow compliance.
  • krishnan1159
    @rakeshr : Thanks for the response :) Whether there is no way to build an application that will collect data independently?
  • krishnan1159
    @rakeshr : For accessing historical data or quote, we will anyway pass API key right. Whether that cannot be used for authorization similar to access token?
  • Vivek
    Vivek edited June 2020
    Apikey can be made public and it doesn't guarantee that the sender is authorized. Kite connect API's are for personal use so we don't give long standing token, if you are a startup then can reach out for access here - [email protected]