Python installation and libraries link for first time setup

jithan
Hello,
I am trying to setup kite api for the first time.
Please help with the python installer to use and the libraries needed.

Thanks,
Jithan
  • kapilaggr
    Hi , I still have very basic query. Any specific version of python to be installed? I downloaded the latest version (Python36 for windows 64-bit), did 'pip install kiteconnect' on windows command prompt and then after running 'from kiteconnect import KiteConnect' in Python command window it gave following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "", line 1, in
    ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'kiteconnect'

Please help with the same. Thanks.
  • kapilaggr
    Hey this is what I am getting while installing kiteconnect.

>>> package_name ='kiteconnect'
    >>> pip.main(['install',package_name])
    Collecting kiteconnect
    Using cached kiteconnect-3.4.1.tar.gz
    [31mException:
    File "C:\Program Files\Python36\lib\site-packages\pip\basecommand.py", line 215, in main
    status = self.run(options, args)
    File "C:\Program Files\Python36\lib\site-packages\pip\commands\install.py", line 324, in run
    requirement_set.prepare_files(finder)
    File "C:\Program Files\Python36\lib\site-packages\pip\req\req_set.py", line 380, in prepare_files
    ignore_dependencies=self.ignore_dependencies))
    File "C:\Program Files\Python36\lib\site-packages\pip\req\req_set.py", line 634, in _prepare_file
    abstract_dist.prep_for_dist()
    File "C:\Program Files\Python36\lib\site-packages\pip\req\req_set.py", line 129, in prep_for_dist
    self.req_to_install.run_egg_info()
    File "C:\Program Files\Python36\lib\site-packages\pip\req\req_install.py", line 439, in run_egg_info
    command_desc='python setup.py egg_info')
    File "C:\Program Files\Python36\lib\site-packages\pip\utils\__init__.py", line 676, in call_subprocess
    line = console_to_str(proc.stdout.readline())
    File "C:\Program Files\Python36\lib\site-packages\pip\compat\__init__.py", line 73, in console_to_str
    return s.decode(sys.__stdout__.encoding)
    AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'encoding'[0m
    >>> import kiteconnect
    File "", line 1, in
    import kiteconnect
    ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'kiteconnect'
  • Vivek
    Vivek edited January 2017
    @kapilaggr Did you install using pip sudo pip install kiteconnect If yes then can you tell us on which platform you are trying to install?
  • kapilaggr
    windows 8. And yes I did pip, I have pasted the result from running pip install kiteconnect in above post:
    I tried both ways and then did import kiteconnect which gave "no module" error:
    1) pip install connect in windows command prompt
    2) below method in python command window:

>>> package_name ='kiteconnect'
    >>> pip.main(['install',package_name])

Collecting kiteconnect
    Using cached kiteconnect-3.4.1.tar.gz
    [31mException:
    File "C:\Program Files\Python36\lib\site-packages\pip\basecommand.py", line 215, in main
    status = self.run(options, args)
    File "C:\Program Files\Python36\lib\site-packages\pip\commands\install.py", line 324, in run
    requirement_set.prepare_files(finder)
    File "C:\Program Files\Python36\lib\site-packages\pip\req\req_set.py", line 380, in prepare_files
    ignore_dependencies=self.ignore_dependencies))
    File "C:\Program Files\Python36\lib\site-packages\pip\req\req_set.py", line 634, in _prepare_file
    abstract_dist.prep_for_dist()
    File "C:\Program Files\Python36\lib\site-packages\pip\req\req_set.py", line 129, in prep_for_dist
    self.req_to_install.run_egg_info()
    File "C:\Program Files\Python36\lib\site-packages\pip\req\req_install.py", line 439, in run_egg_info
    command_desc='python setup.py egg_info')
    File "C:\Program Files\Python36\lib\site-packages\pip\utils\__init__.py", line 676, in call_subprocess
    line = console_to_str(proc.stdout.readline())
    File "C:\Program Files\Python36\lib\site-packages\pip\compat\__init__.py", line 73, in console_to_str
    return s.decode(sys.__stdout__.encoding)
    AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'encoding'[0m
  • kapilaggr
    @vivek looking for the help. thanks.
  • vishnus
    Hi @kapilaggr

We replicated your environment and was able to install and import kiteconnect. Can you try in a different system? Please find the screenshot here:
    http://imgur.com/a/458wU

• kapilaggr
    @vishnus i can try that but what could be the possible issue in existing system? What are the above messages i am getting while running pip, are they pointing to an error?
  • vishnus
    @kapilaggr Its difficult to give an accurate analysis, but I think it could be the pip / python config issue. Kiteconnect library works fine with the same version of python as you have mentioned (3.6)

You could try removing and reinstalling python in the same system and follow the commands as per the screenshot in my previous comment.
  • kapilaggr
    @vishnus I had installed the 64-bit version of python36, tried it on 32-bit one now, it worked. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.