Difference between unfilled_quantity and pending_quantity

ksh
Hi everyone,
I have a question about the Kite Connect python API and was hoping someone could clarify the difference between 'unfilled_quantity' and 'pending_quantity which we get on order update.

qty related params [fabricated example]:
{'unfilled_quantity':xxx , quantity': 200, 'filled_quantity': 50, 'pending_quantity': 20, 'cancelled_quantity': 10}

• rakeshr
    Clarify the difference between 'unfilled_quantity' and 'pending_quantity which we get on order update.
    There is no difference, both represent the pending quantity. unfilled_quantity, is an legacy field, and will be removed in the next release.
  • ksh
    Hi. What are the use cases of on_message callback while using websocket ? does it have more info than order update ?
  • rakeshr
    What are the use cases of on_message callback while using websocket?
    You mean on_order_update?
    It's for receiving order updates, the same as postback. For a multi-user public platform, postback is designed to be used and you can find more details on its usage here. However, for individuals, it is recommended to use websocket order update and you can find more information on this here."
  • ksh
    Thanks for responding. :smile:
    But https://kite.trade/docs/pykiteconnect/v4/#kiteconnect.KiteTicker states:

on_message(ws, payload, is_binary) - Triggered when message is received from the server.
    payload - Raw response from the server (either text or binary).
    is_binary - Bool to check if response is binary type.

this is separate from :

on_order_update(ws, data) - Triggered when there is an order update for the connected user.

So i wanted to know use cases of on_message. when i enable it in my code, i just see some hex string like: b'\x00\x02\x00,\x00\x01\xda\x01\x00$KE\x00\x00\x00\x01\x00$KE\x00\x00\x00\x04\x00\x00\x00h\x00\x00\x01\xe2\x00$KE\x00$KE\x00$KE\x00$KE\x00,\x00\x01\xbd\x01\x00\x00y\xe0\x00\x00\x01\xcd\x00\x00y\xe0\x00\x00\x0c\xca\x0
  • rakeshr
    So i wanted to know use cases of on_message.
    It returns raw binary tick packets. The documentation explains more about this.
  • ksh
    So overall, there is no additional info in this if we are subscribing tick data and getting order updates. right ?
  • sujith
    Yes, you will receive tick data and order updates.
  • ksh
    Thanks Sujith and Rakesh :)
This discussion has been closed.