Changes to per day order limits

rakeshr
rakeshr edited July 2023 in General
Dear Users,

We would like to inform you about an upcoming change to our account limits, which will be effective from Saturday, July 22, 2023. We have revised the number of orders allowed per Zerodha account.

Moving forward, the number of orders per account will be limited to 3000 across all varieties. Previously, the limits were set at 3000 for regular orders and 2000 for cover orders. With this update, you will now have one limit regardless of the order type and product type.

Best regards,
The Zerodha Team
Tagged:
  • shivdas_b
    shivdas_b edited July 2023
    You mean combined 3000 (on all varieties) or individually 3000 (per variety)?
  • sujith
    It is the combined limit of 3000 orders per day for an account.
  • KamalChhirang
    KamalChhirang edited July 2023
    Questions:

1.) Is this limit per account or per API key

2.) If it is per account, can we place orders manually via Kite, If we hit 3000 order limit? If no, we can't do anything in account? Like exiting position?

3.) If I send a order via API, but it do not get registered (or show in Kite order page dashboard), will that order request also count in the limit? For example, If I place order before market open, or If I place order in a MIS blocked script, it do not get registered in orderbook officially.
  • KamalChhirang
    I request the API team to send an email as well for important announcements like this, please.
  • sujith
    It is a Zerodha account level restriction.

Once users hit this limit, one can't exit positions as well. You will have to contact RMS to increase the limit for the day.

All the requests are counted, even the ones that are blocked by the internal RMS and won't show up in the orderbook as well. It includes all the orders placed before and after market opens and closes.
  • KamalChhirang
    KamalChhirang edited July 2023
    Thank you @sujith

Is there any way to check the number of orders I sent today via API or manually? Or we need to keep track of it from our end like everything else?

Also, how do I contact the RMS to increase the limit for some day? (I can find call & trade or support number only in Zerodha's contact us page)

I am not close to hitting the limit and will try my best to not hit the limit.

But In future, If a technical error from my side happens, I may hit the limit, and I would like to know, how to contact RMS as soon as possible in that case.
  • KamalChhirang
    Also,

In the future, If I develop a trading strategy that may require me to place more than 3,000 orders on a regular basis. Is it possible to request Zerodha to raise the order limit for my account permanently to a higher limit like 5k-6k orders?
  • sujith
    sujith edited July 2023
    You will have to call support for increasing order limit for the day.
    You can write to support and ask the rms team to increase order limit, they will review and get back.
  • baba
    baba edited July 2023
    Thank you
  • MAG
    @rakeshr @sujith @Kailash

Some of us use the API but do not log into the forum often. I am sure I am not the only one under this category. Therefore these kind of changes should be communicated to the API subscribers via email. I just happened to check the forum today by chance and came across this notification. Otherwise I would not have known of these changes maybe for months on end.

Request you to implement a policy of informing API customers of changes to the limits or api itself by email.
  • trd1
    +1 these changes to API contract should be published ahead of time via email with lead time of at least 6 months to adapt. It's standard practice for professional APIs
  • akraghavendran
    changes to API should be communicated through email, just came through this forum.
  • gautamsatpathy
    Trying to make sure I understand this completely.

As far as the API is concerned, this will apply to all the following, right?
    1. Place Order (all types, including GTT?)
    2. Modify Order
    3. Cancel Order
    4. Convert Position
    Also, this is an API Order Counter. If an Order is placed but Rejected, it still consumes a counter (from the 3000). Also, if an Order is placed via Kite, or via Small Case, it would also count against this limit as this is an Account Level restriction?

Secondly, do Modify, Cancel & Convert Position count as Orders for the sake of this limit?

Thirdly, do Cancel & Convert Position count against the limit of 25 Order Modifications?

Fourthly, what happens in the case of GTT Order Modification? A GTT Order is long lived, unlike all other Orders which are in the context of a single trading session. Are we saying that we can modify a GTT Order only 25 times?
  • rakeshr
    Hello @gautamsatpathy
    All of your questions are answered in our listed FAQs and the kiteconnect API documentation.
  • Amitesh
    1. Does this also includes REJECTED/CANCELLED orders ?
    2. If anyone place Iceberg order with multiple Legs(example:5 legs) then will the application count 5 order or one order
    3. What is the rule for gtt orders, assume that target is not triggered but stop loss triggered. will you consider order count 2 or 1 for exit orders ?
    4. For market orders with high quantity, if one order gets triggered with multiple prices, how many order count will be considered ?
  • sujith
    Yes, all the order place requests are considered. It includes the one that may show up in the orderbook with status complete, pending, rejected, cancelled, trigger_pending and also orders that don't show up in the orderbook but rejected by our mini RMS with 400 http status code.

For an iceberg order, if there are 5 legs then count considered is 5.

For a GTT, there will be either stoploss order that gets placed or target gets placed. It will be considered as 1.

If there are multiple trades for an order placed from API or platform then it is still considered as one order only.
  • romi21
    the per day order limit adjustments will indeed apply universally across all order-related API functions, including Place Order (including GTT), Modify Order, Cancel Order, and Convert Position. Regardless of the order outcome (accepted or rejected), or the method of placement (Kite, Small Case), it will consume from the daily limit. For clarity, Modify, Cancel, and Convert Position actions are considered as individual orders for the purpose of this limit. Cancel and Convert Position actions do count against the limit of 25 Order Modifications. Regarding GTT Order Modifications, the 25 modification limit applies, considering GTT orders' extended lifespan compared to intraday orders.
  • sujith
    The order limit will only consider the order place request only and not modify or cancel or place GTT API calls.
    It includes the requests made from all the platforms. It is the Zerodha account level limit.