Instrument Tokens are not Unique ??

rahul582
instrument_token,exchange_token,tradingsymbol,name,last_price,expiry,strike,tick_size,lot_size,instrument_type,segment,exchange
8962818,35011,BANKNIFTY2112132000PE,"BANKNIFTY",0,2021-01-21,32000,0.05,25,PE,NFO-OPT,NFO
-- as observed till 21st Jan of 2021
instrument_token,exchange_token,tradingsymbol,name,last_price,expiry,strike,tick_size,lot_size,instrument_type,segment,exchange
8962818,35011,BANKNIFTY2131028200PE,"BANKNIFTY",0,2021-03-10,28200,0.05,25,PE,NFO-OPT,NFO
-- as observed now in 1st week of Feb 2021

I can give a ton of more examples like these.
So are the instrument_tokens re-used by Kite/Zerodha again and again for other instruments ??
I thought they are unique

what's driving me crazy is that even the exhange_token is same for both .. WTH ?

• rakeshr
    @rahul582
    So are the instrument_tokens re-used by Kite/Zerodha again and again for other instruments ??
    Yes, but it's not by Zerodha but by an exchange. The exchange re-uses an exchange token when an instrument expires. So, we recommend users to fetch full instrument file daily once on trading day. Go through this thread to know more about this.
  • sujith
    If you are storing data then I would suggest using tradingsymbol with the exchange as the key and not instrument tokens.
  • amolgupta
    @sujith your recommendation is worth being added to the documentation. People trying to design algo trading systems will encounter similar issues while trying to make design choices. This will be helpful for people trying to do symbol mapping.
  • sujith
    @amolgupta,
    It is included in the docs as a note here.
  • niioo
    is trading symbol unique?
    @sujith
  • niioo
    having this doubt because trading symbol already contains month is there any case where 2 exchnages have same trading symbol?
  • sujith
    sujith edited July 2023
    A combination of tradingsymbol:exchange will be unique.