What is the reason behind API pricing?

satasiyavivek
Hello Sir,

I am a software engineer by profession & I have been using zerodha platform for trading since long time and I love the kite platform.

After spending time in trading, got to know that without any technical analysis going for trading blindly is not good. So started learning technical analysis so that I can do trading with much better sense. After learning technical analysis, I have realised that being a software engineer, I can write an algo which can automatically do analysis on behalf of me and do trading. So I started researching about the stock market data api and I got to know that Zerodha has been already providing the api. That's very nice. I can write my own algo. So started exploring the kite api documentation and finally got to know that zerodha API is not free for individual developers. We need to pay 2000 bucks/month for just using API. I totally disappointed.

I want to create my own algo engine and if it works then want to create recommendation engine for others. So others can also take advantage but entry point for getting data is too high as per indian market for individual developer.

I am sure that you might have long discussions internally for api pricing & very good reason to have this price but this is really a hurdle for developers like me who want to start with their ideas. No one knows which idea get good success with good efforts like Zerodha.

I know that you have kept free for startups but to become a startup, first we need to act upon the idea and if it works then only we can invest much for on our idea.

If you would open your api for free, then it may possible that many developers can try their idea with your api and some idea may get the good success. Free apis will be your help to them.

Angel has opened its smart API for free. Good gesture for developer community.

I just want to hear from you guys. What are your thoughts?

Thank you sir.
Regards,
Vivek Satasiya.
  • sujith
    Hi @satasiyavivek,
    You can check out this thread.
  • sujith
    There is a lot of effort and resources being used to keep the APIs up and running. Our team keeps improving even the tiny aspect that makes the API more reliable and faster. We can assure you that Kite Connect is the best service in the industry in terms of quality, simplicity, and reliability.
    There is an operational cost as well for running the same. All the factors are considered before deciding the pricing.
    If you still have doubts you can write to kiteconnect(at)zerodha.com and speak to the business team.
  • satasiyavivek
    Hi @sujith, Thank you for your quick reply.

Yes I agree with you. You have your limitations as well as expenses.

Thank you guys. Will look into your apis in the future once I am able to afford.

Till then, Angel's smart api is the only option for me.

Thank you.
  • BA2635
    Hello satasiyavivek,
    I am looking for readymade algo software for my trading. Kindly, let me know whether it is working for cash/future/options and how is your backtesting results. You can call me on 9979851331
  • satasiyavivek
    HI @BA2635, Yes I am developing algorithm. Right now, it applies to only cash equity segment.
  • r2k1984
    This is one of the major difference between global companies and Indian unicorns. Giving back to the community is very less and they want to make more and more with giving less to the community.

Rs2K on top of all the commissions is the RIP off and amount of servers you will be investing on is real peanuts considering the amount you are making. It is sad to see Zerodha is not startup friendly , while many exchanges & platforms give it for free already in India.

I'm not another exchange to give you false feedback and this is one of my honest feedback and you can have free plan with limits which is very valid , but asking for even basic stuff is not acceptable.
  • Sourabh_Kumar
    With due respect, Your api management is worst in industry. If a person wants to automate his trade he need to create request tokens again and again with is irritating and is totally against automated process. Most of useful things like BO orders are discontinued then how can you call yourself best in industry. You charge even for historical data which is scam on another level.
  • rakeshr
    If a person wants to automate his trade he need to create request tokens again and again with is irritating
    No, you have to generate request token only once a day, using the login flow. Using this request token, you can generate access_token, which can be used throughout the day in the authentication. Go through the authentication login flow here.
    You charge even for historical data
    Pricing related query is already answered in this thread.
    Go through the forum FAQs, it explains all your queries.

We don't recommend using passive-aggressive comments on this forum, so we have deleted your another thread. If this repeats, we will be forced to ban the user.
This discussion has been closed.