Kite API pricing

pg1337
pg1337 edited April 2016 in General
Hi, I had a couple of questions about the pricing for Kite API

1. The website lists two separate prices for the order/execution API and historical data. I want to use the API for fetching historical intraday data at 5/15mins resolution and run a scan to generate signals. Are the APIs for historical data, as well as orders, included in the 2000/m or is it separate and total cost 4000/m?

2. Is there any trial period/sandbox for the API to test code, say with fake/old data?

3. Does the historical data API return data upto the current time, or until the previous trading day? If I need 1 hour OHLC data, would it work if I queried historical data every 1 hour during market hours?
  • Vivek
    1. The website lists two separate prices for the order/execution API and historical data. I want to use the API for fetching historical intraday data at 5/15mins resolution and run a scan to generate signals. Are the APIs for historical data, as well as orders, included in the 2000/m or is it separate and total cost 4000/m?
    Historical API is an add on to the app and both including it costs Rs.4000/m
    2. Is there any trial period/sandbox for the API to test code, say with fake/old data?
    We don't have sandbox mode yet but you can expect it in near future.
  • vikesh
    Is there any page listing pricing of historical data api and usage restrictions if any?
  • sujith
    @vikesh,
    We don't have a pricing page as of now. We will put it up soon. Historical API subscription is an add-on subscription. It will cost you Rs. 2000/m.
    All KiteConnect APIs are rate limited to 3 requests/second.
  • washim
    Can you please explain 2000 poins = 2000 Rs concept. If it is monthly then why 2000 points? 1 points = how many requests?
  • arkochhar
    @sujith, Could I make a suggestion that if Zerodha could split the package into two. That is, one for trading and one for historical data feed. Currently, it is that you subscribe to basic trading package which is 2K and then add on the historical data package which is another 2K. People like me who wish to access only historical data for the purposes of backtesting, will have to shell out 2K for services that they will not use, at least immediately. Let me know what you think?
  • sujith
    Hi @arkochhar,
    I will forward this request to the management. We will get back to you about this.
  • greybit
    Hi Sujit,

we request you to provide some demo historic API access like 15 days trial period .. or some script for free. so that it will be easy for us to test our code before buying the original access.

4K is too costly for the small investors for initial testing and coding.

or else you can come up with some plans based on number of requests.

like 4 K -> unlimited requests.
    500rs -> limited requests for some scripts.

if you give such kind of options more people will try to code and will use to build a system then they will automatically go for 4K plan.
  • arkochhar
    @sujith any update on API pricing model changes? Also any timeframe for release of sandbox? Some information in this regard will be highly appreciated. Thanks
  • sujith
    Hi @arkochhar,
    I have put a word across management.
    As of now to make it easy for users, we are not expiring historical API subscription when the base subscription ends. If you renew the App then you should be able to use Historical API without renewing.
    We will provide the sandbox feature in near future.
  • arkochhar
    @sujith that's kind of you to have put a word across to your management. However, deferring the Historical API expiry is not the solution.

The issue is that I still need Interactive API subscription to access Historical API even if I don't want to use Interactive API. This is total waste of money I feel. Also you must realise that your competition is fast catching up both in terms of quality and quantity.

Here is what I think you should do, split the Interactive and Historical API sign up and reduce the price for both. If you take these steps, there will less need for a sandbox.

It is my sincere hope that some action is taken in this direction soon.

Thanks
  • sudhirshettyk
    I Up-vote this suggestion. I explained my reason after the quote-
    "Here is what I think you should do, split the Interactive and Historical API sign up and reduce the price for both. If you take these steps, there will less need for a sandbox"

Apart from the price, this is required because order placement/algorithm and generating technical analysis data using historical data are typically isolated and implemented as separate processes . Any login failure etc (where you have to re-attempt a login) and related session management is best managed when there is no inter-dependency of these processes and sessions . For the same reason having independent request rate for historical data and order placement is expected. In summary, the order placement(particularly exit on a volatile day) is the most crucial one and must not be affected in any ways by other things like the historical data access.
  • sudhirshettyk
    @Sujith @Kailash @Nithin
    To further press my point, historical data API and order management API should be isolated fully and you should not have any reason to have common nodes at any point including both the backend hardware infrastructure or the software stack . This doesn't seem to be in your system given the example of session management and rate limiting. Since you are re-designing the systems this may be the right time to give a deep thought on the long term merits of fully isolating these services.
  • Ones
    Ones edited October 2017
    @nithin
    I too think that the price of even the standalone OMS API is substantially higher and strongly vote for its reduction. And further there is already competitor who is offering it for far lesser price (not sure about the quality though still as I haven't signed up with them yet), but looks like it is just the same access as what Kite Connect offers. So I cant understand the logic to price interactive API more than double to what the competition is already offering.
  • Ones
    Ones edited October 2017
    @nithin
    Incidently, just checked with Upstox, they are already offering OrderStatus (Quantity filled), Positions, Trade Updates everything through Websockets since inception. Hence full automation possible instantly. Pricing Kite Connect interactive API needs a serious relook, again I am discounting Finvasia (zero brokerage) + Symphony Presto API solution and IB which offers free API with their drastically reduced brokerage now matching all leading discount brokers.
  • sujith
    sujith edited October 2017
    Hi,
    Kite Connect offers much more with just Rs 2000.
    1. The Rs 2000 for Kite Connect charges include GST.
    2. Kite Connect API's historical dataset is bigger than any other offering.
    3. Kite Connect APIs are scalable, tried and tested. Businesses like smallcase, balance have been set up on these APIs.
    4. Kite Connect APIs give access to regular and direct mutual funds.
    5. Kite Connect v3.0(after complete migration) will be faster and even more offerings are coming up.
    6. Kite Connect v3.0 will offer eTags which will reduce bandwidth consumption drastically.

Upstox's prices seem to be special/introductory and may go up in the future.

Since this is a developer forum, pricing related discussions are a little out of the scope. Those are done by the business team. Please post your queries regarding pricing to talk(at)rainmatter.com
This discussion has been closed.