Developer Account

samp
Will my account be debited when I create a Developer Account ?
Or I will be given an option to get an API Key and then I will be charged ?
Basically, I want to know that will I have to pay just for creating a Developer Account ?
  • sujith
    You won't be charged for creating a developer account but you will be charged for creating a Kite Connect app.
  • samp
    Thanks.
    If I want to put orders from my own webpage, I won't create a Kite Connect app, still I will need to pay for an API key ?
    Are there such thing as Publisher API key which is free and Connect API key which is paid ?
  • rakeshr
    @samp
    If I want to put orders from my own webpage, I won't create a Kite Connect app, still I will need to pay for an API key ?
    You need to create Kite Connect app to place order via APIs from your webpage.
    Are there such thing as Publisher API key which is free and Connect API key which is paid ?
    Yeah, Kite Publisher is free.You can check publisher detail here.
  • samp
    samp edited March 2019
    Thanks.
    So, what I understood is:
    I can create a Publisher App for free.
    I can also place orders from my own web page.

In both the cases, I will need to connect to Zerodha to place the orders, for that I will need Connect API key, for which I must pay.
    There is no such thing as a Free Publisher Key.
    Publisher is free but the key is not.

Have I got it correctly ?
  • sujith
    Hi @samp,
    Please check out FAQs here.
    You can create a Kite Publisher app for free and use it for free.
  • samp
    Hi sujith,

Sorry, still I am not getting the intended answer. May be, I am not able to ask properly.

You said: You can create a Kite Publisher app for free and use it for free.

Now, my question is: Is it necessary to purchase an API key to place trading orders through this free Kite Publisher app or my webpage ?

In other words,
    Can I place trading orders through this free Kite Publisher app without purchasing an API key ?
  • prat
    Hello, @samp publisher can be used to place javascript button on a webpage which will redirect you to you a small order place window. so basically you can pre-fill quantity price and order type etc and initiate the order window through this button.
    it is free to use.
  • samp
    Thanks, @prat

Will it work if I am not passing api key parameter when placing an order ?
  • prat
    you need to pass the api key of the publisher app that you create.
    Just to make it clear again creating a publisher app and using its api key is free.
    you will only be charged if you create a kite connect app and use its api key

you can find info about usage of publisher app here https://kite.trade/docs/connect/v3/publisher/
  • samp
    Thanks, @prat

Now the picture is clear to me !

I didn't know that I will get a free api key when I create a publisher app. So I thought that the api key is the same for publisher and kite connect, and I have to purchase it even if publisher is free.

Thank you for your support !
This discussion has been closed.