Kite API call takes more time than usual from AWS

krtrader
Hi @Vivek

the latency issue from AWS server (mumbai) to kite api call started again from tomorrow. could you please check with AWS team? I have sent you tracert logs in inbox
  • enliyo
    Noticed this as well. Especially during first half hour after market open. Many of my calls were failed on UI side which had timeout of 3 seconds for each request. So API calls /positions and /holdings were taking more than 3 seconds to complete. Why are we having connectivity issues lately?
  • sujith
    We will again raise a ticket and ask them updates regarding this.
  • krtrader
    krtrader edited May 2019
    Hi @sujith @Vivek

The issue started again from 06-May-2019
    Can we get permanent fix for this issue from AWS? Could you please inform to them?
  • krtrader
    please look into this
  • krtrader
    Hi @sujith @Vivek

can we get solution for this? i am facing this since 3 weeks. it increases overall slippage
  • vishnus
    Hi @krtrader we've raised this with AWS again. Since you are also in AWS network, suggest you also raise a ticket with them comparing the ping time and traceroute to api.kite.trade from your local and from your AWS instance. What is the instance type you are using?
  • krtrader
    I am using EC2 Amazon Linux ami
  • krtrader
    Hi @vishnus

I raised ticket with AWS team last week, but not reply yet.
    Did u get any response from AWS? i am still facing the issue
  • krtrader
    Hi @sujith @vishnus

The API calls started taking around 500 ms again from 12th Feb 2020.
    earlier it was taking <100 ms.

Seems same issue as before. Could you please check with AWS team? I am running my app in AWS Mumbai.

@HowUTrade are you facing similar issue?
  • sujith
    @krtrader,
    Can you do traceroute and private message the logs?
  • krtrader
    sent you message with logs
  • sujith
    There seems to be packet loss at the AWS, we have reported them to take a look at this. We are waiting for their reply.
  • krtrader
    @sujith

The issue got resolved. Thanks for the support.
  • HowUTrade
    @sujith

We are experiencing high latency (~53ms, earlier it was ~1ms) to connect api.kite.trade from AWS (Mumbai Data center). We are using c5 instance types. From our personal laptop, the latency is ~7ms only.
    Kindly check this

Here is the traceroute from AWS

tracert api.kite.trade

Tracing route to api.kite.trade [104.18.91.38]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 * * * Request timed out.
    2 * * * Request timed out.
    3 * * * Request timed out.
    4 * * * Request timed out.
    5 * * * Request timed out.
    6 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 100.65.10.33
    7 1 ms <1 ms 1 ms 52.95.67.199
    8 6 ms 12 ms 3 ms 52.95.67.150
    9 1 ms 1 ms <1 ms 52.95.65.236
    10 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 115.114.89.57.static-Mumbai.vsnl.net.in [115.114.89.57]
    11 * * * Request timed out.
    12 22 ms 22 ms 32 ms ix-ae-4-2.tcore1.cxr-chennai.as6453.net [180.87.36.9]
    13 59 ms 59 ms 59 ms if-ae-34-2.tcore1.svq-singapore.as6453.net [180.87.36.41]
    14 56 ms 57 ms 56 ms 120.29.215.101
    15 63 ms 63 ms 63 ms 104.18.91.38

Trace complete.
  • HowUTrade
    @sujith @rakeshr
    Could you pls update on this?
  • sujith
    @HowUTrade,
    I have shared this thread across the team. We will get back to you in a while.
  • vishnus
    Hi @HowUTrade

This seems like Cloudflare routing this through the fastest available path for your source network. Its something we have no control over. This could depend on multiple factors, like if theres an increased latency between the networks of your source and our destination, Cloudflare will automatically route it through a different path that is faster and that could be a different geographic region also. Thats why you see two different routes from AWS (AWS's ISP) and your laptop (your ISP). This would automatically fix as and when the route becomes faster. Now its true that our servers are in AWS, but all our services are behind Cloudflare for its WAF and DDoS protection. So you are essentially reaching Cloudflare rather than AWS when you try to reach api.kite.trade. You can read up more about this routing here: https://blog.cloudflare.com/argo/ .
  • HowUTrade
    @sujith @vishnus

Thanks for the update.
  • gandavadi
    @vishnus @sujith
    I am not an expert on networks, but can this be reported to Cloudflare and sorted? My VM is in Azure Mumbai, but it goes to Dubai and then to Kite/AWS Mumbai!! Infact it is faster from my home network in Chennai. It takes about 1ms from Singapore!!!! I am attaching the tracert log files from these locations.

Please report this to Cloudflare and fix it.
  • sujith
    @gandavadi,
    As mentioned in the above Cloudflare article, the algorithm finds the best available route. I don't think we can lobby to route through a specific node.
  • gandavadi
    gandavadi edited August 2020
    @sujith

"Lobby"??!!....wow....So you mean to say that we have to live with this issue? No solution or suggestions or improvement possible?
  • vishnus
    Hi @gandavadi,

Like I had explained in my previous comment, Cloudflare routes traffic based on the latency between two points. There are n number of variables that could cause it to be routed through a different geographic location. When you were doing the traceroute, probably one of the hops between your AWS server and Cloudflare's closest node might have had a higher latency that could cause them to reroute it through another faster route (its mostly due to an ISP issue and we have seen it happening with our regular clients also while they access kite.zerodha.com) and these are out of our control. If the delay continues to occur, Cloudflare retains the same path. We will raise an issue with Cloudflare again and ask for an update. Meanwhile, could you share a new traceroutes from your AWS servers again?

You can read more about how this works here: https://blog.cloudflare.com/argo/
  • vishnus
    Hi @gandavadi

Also could you run these from your AWS server and share the results:

1. curl https://api.kite.trade/cdn-cgi/trace/
    2. nslookup api.kite.trade
    3. mtr -rwc 25 api.kite.trade

Thanks
  • HowUTrade
    @vishnus

Attached pls find the latest results from AWS Mumbai. To surprise, it is taking double the time (~140ms) than the last reported.

Source IP: 13.126.85.127
    Instance Type: c5.large
    Availability Zone: ap-south-1c

@gandavadi could you post the same for Azure Mumbai?

Thanks
  • vishnus
    Hi @HowUTrade , @gandavadi

We just had a call with Cloudflare to understand how this routing from client-side goes over totally different geographic locations. We shared the MTR and traceroutes you had sent with them. These cloud providers rely on multiple ISPs and the routing to the external network (internet) depends upon these ISPs. In the MTR and traceroutes @HowUTrade had shared, you can see that the second last hop IP (180.87.181.187) is of TATA ISP in tokyo and the next hop is Cloudflare edge server in Tokyo. So what happened here is that the traffic from AWS -> ISP of AWS (TATA in this case) which sent traffic through its Tokyo edge -> reached the closest Cloudflare edge server in Tokyo. This is something that they nor we have control over. With ISPs its common to have these issues and especially when it comes to Cloud providers like AWS, GCP, Azure etc they will have multiple ISPs and they could route your external traffic through various ISPs. Please find below screenshots:

The traceroute @HowUTrade shared:

• vishnus
    vishnus edited August 2020
    The traceroute @gandavadi had shared:

6 27 ms 27 ms 27 ms be-20-0.ibr01.bom01.ntwk.msn.net [104.44.11.1]
    7 26 ms 26 ms 26 ms be-8-0.ibr01.bom30.ntwk.msn.net [104.44.7.168]
    8 27 ms 27 ms 27 ms be-10-0.ibr01.dxb20.ntwk.msn.net [104.44.28.160]
    9 26 ms 26 ms 26 ms ae102-0.icr02.dxb20.ntwk.msn.net [104.44.20.232]
    10 30 ms 26 ms 26 ms ae22-0.ier02.dxb20.ntwk.msn.net [104.44.238.228] -- AZURE in United States
    11 30 ms 29 ms 29 ms 185.1.15.41 -- Emirates ISP in Dubai
    12 29 ms 29 ms 29 ms 104.18.91.38 -- Cloudflare

Trace complete.
    Hope this clarifies this issue.

Thanks
  • HowUTrade
    @vishnus

Thanks for the update.
  • HowUTrade
    @vishnus

Looks like the issue is resolved
    Here is the latest trace route from AWS, back to ~1ms

6 1 ms <1 ms 8 ms 100.65.10.65
    7 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 52.95.65.130
    8 31 ms 1 ms <1 ms 52.95.67.38
    9 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 52.95.67.23
    10 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 99.82.179.153
    11 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 104.18.91.38

Trace complete.
  • gandavadi
    @vishnus

My apologies for my delayed response. I was out of action for a couple of weeks. Here are the details that you have requested. All these are from Azure Mumbai location
  • gandavadi
    @HowUTrade

Looks fantastic. I will move to AWS if there is no other solution.

@vishnus Let me know if moving to AWS is the only option I have.

Thanks
  • vishnus
    @gandavadi I cannot be certain of that. Like @HowUTrade had shared, even with AWS, sometimes traffic goes through overseas before hitting the internet. Unless you are in colo with the exchanges I don't think there's a permanent solution to get ultra-low latency. The moment internet is involved, the routing is totally on ISP's control.
  • gandavadi
    Got it....thanks @vishnus